Tuesday, August 17, 2010

One More Time

Hej,

I'm writing to you with the last post of this blog. I have left the island now, and I am staying at Anna's place for the next week. However, leaving Vassaro did not mean I was saying goodbye to everyone. Last night was the 'funkmiddag' (staff dinner) where everyone met up at a restaurant for one last time for the summer. I had a really nice time, and it was somewhat amusing to see people wearing normal civilian clothes. There was good food, good company, and good beer --yes, the drinking age for beer in Sweden is 18, so I did not break the law :)

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do for the rest of this week. I did all the touristy things last summer, although there are a couple places I definitely would like to go back to. Anna is gone most of the day being a leader for the freshman orientation at her university. I think I'll try to meet up with other staff whenever I can. But other than that, my schedule is very, very flexible.

I have mixed feelings about leaving Vassaro. On one hand, I'm a little disheartened knowing that I can't work there again for a long time. But, I know that as long as I am with Anna and come back to Sweden, I will be able to stay in touch with everybody.

These past 2 summers have been incredible, and I strongly recommend such an experience to anyone seeking something different out of their summer. The program I went through, the European Camp Staff Program (Or the European Scout Voluntary Programme) connects you to dozens of camps such as Vassaro throughout Europe. So maybe if Sweden doesn't sound right for you, there's no need to fear. Furthermore, the program guarantees to reimburse at least 50% of your travel costs. You can find the link here for more information:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/International/ecamp.aspx

Once again, I can't stress to you enough about how incredible an opportunity this is. If you've ever wanted to see what Scouting looks like around the world, or if you've wanted to take your Scouting experience to the next level, then this is it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Well, I guess it's time to sign off. Thank you for reading. Until next time?

-Lukas


5 comments:

  1. Hey I am not sure if you read your comments but I have been trying to ask you for weeks now, do you have to speak Swedish to volunteer at Vassaro? :) Thanks if you do post back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! Come join us (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I am old enough yet :/ I will try to when I can :) Thank you for the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey :) Your blog is super helpful- I'm going to Vassaro for a month this summer and I can't wait. Is there a way to contact you other than the comment section? I'm just curious about a few things... if you wouldn't mind answering some questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Misha Z. -- where are you from?

    ReplyDelete